Title: Gis Outreach Coordinator
Location: Knoxville, TN
GIS Outreach Coordinator directs the application, development, and delivery of state of the art geospatial analysis and education as part of the Department of Geography’s public outreach and community engagement mission, its commitment to “student-centered” teaching, and its expanding GIS (Geographic Information Science) program.
- Manage and supervise the GIS Outreach and Community Engagement Laboratory and related technology, space resources, and student workers.
Collaborate with Geography faculty, staff, and students to plan and provide GIS analytical support services and products to assist with research and creative activity projects, conference presentations, external grant proposals, journal articles, and books.
- Disseminate knowledge of GIS research and teaching capabilities and knowledge of the UT GIS Outreach Lab to academic departments, programs, and researchers inside and outside the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Visit, consult, and collaborate with campus partners to identify new ways of using GIS and other forms of geo-spatial analysis to advance research and instructional goals and projects.
- Consult and collaborate with a wide range of community groups (social organizations, political jurisdictions, public agencies, non-profit organizations, private industry, etc.) in Tennessee and the southeastern United States to identify ways of using GIS to address topics and issues of concern to them.
- Direct the writing and submission of grant proposals, often in concert with partners, and assume responsibility for all phases of GIS outreach projects from planning and implementation to delivering and billing.
- Develop and disseminate innovations in GIS education to other UT programs, K-12 public and private schools, and teacher advocacy and training organizations related to STEM and Geography.
- Teach 1 course per semester in the area of GIS, specifically Geography 311 (Introduction to GIS and Geovisualization), and provide students classroom and lab instruction, experiential learning opportunities, and career preparation for public and private sector employment.